About Katrina Kidson
I believe that many of us can be happier at work. For this reason I have started my own business to help business owners and teams look at what they want and how they are operating their business. My goal is to help you have a businesses that is really humming; and for you and your people to be happy at work.
My broad experience, from high level executive positions to working in family business, means that I can quickly look at many different businesses and work at different levels. My strengths include getting clear on strategy and implementation, operations and helping make more effective work environments. I really excel at leading change and supporting others changing their businesses.
I am highly respected for my political nous, strong intellect, pragmatic decision-making, commercial acumen and inspirational leadership skills. The foundation of how I operate is my mindfulness and meditation practice.
Present Philanthropic Roles
I'm passionate about building strong, sustainable communities and have a number of voluntary roles. Some of these roles are:
- Nelson Tasman Housing Trust - Trustee
- Sustainable Business Network - Business Connector
- Meditation and Mindfulness Leader
Other roles include supporting the hospice and organising the Mayor's Xmas Lunch for 100 senior citizens.
MWH - Executive Officer, Asia Pacific Leadership Team
In 1993, after finishing my Civil Engineering degree, I started work as a consulting engineer. I worked for MWH (now Stantec) for 17 years, quickly being promoted through the organisation. My final role with this business was being an Executive Officer on the Asia Pacific Leadership Team (across 1,300 people). My role was the right hand of the Asia Pacific President, assisting him with the overview of operations and strategy implementation.
- Shifting the strategic capability of the region by leading the development of the first integrated Asia Pacific strategy and implementation plans
- Enabling the delivery of significantly larger projects and better use of the design centre in India by leading the reorganisation of the Asia Pacific region,
- Supporting the President to reorganise governance of the region.
Because of my broad and strong management skills and excellent communication skills I was asked to teach management at the MWH University.
As first CEO for this firm I reported to board. Key achievements include:
- Formalising company strategy,
- Separating governance and management, and overhauling the board reporting (including financial),
- Supporting shareholders with ownership succession planning
- Leading the “Best Places to Work” survey and addressing concerns and celebrating strengths.
Kidson Construction Managing Director and Director
Governance and leadership in a family business can be difficult with their own challenges. During my time as director I led the establishment of more formal governance with regular reporting and meetings.
I assisted the business to get better clarity on its strategy and as Managing Director led the family shareholders through the difficult decision to sell the business. I arranged a successful sale of the construction business with a smooth transition to the new owners.